The Commerford Zoo and here) is coming to Rochester February 10th and 11th. This is an entertainment “fun fair” with mechanical rides, animal rides (elephant/camel/pony), a petting zoo, and an exotic zoo. They also rent animals for parties, TV, ads, and mall openings.
“R.W. Commerford & Sons Traveling Petting Zoo has failed to meet minimum federal standards for the care of animals used in exhibition as established in the Animal Welfare Act (AWA). The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has cited R.W. Commerford & Sons numerous times for failure to provide animals with adequate veterinary care, failure to maintain enclosures and transport trailers, failure to have an attendant present during periods of public contact, improper feeding, and poor housekeeping. An elephant from R.W. Commerford & Sons has been involved in three dangerous incidents while giving rides to children and caused injuries.” – Peta
- Citation factsheet – 43 USDA citations in addition to numerous human injuries from the animals.
- Per Born Free, “1999 — A fair worker scaled a 4-foot safety fence to pet a white tiger traveling with the R.W. Commerford and Sons Inc. petting zoo at the Orange County Fair in Mechanicstown, NY and was attacked by the animal.”
- Yelp reviews – these are illuminating
- Born Free – general info about animal entertainment & elephant rides
What you can do:
- Please boycott this event and urge your friends and family to do so as well.
- Please join us in a demonstration so that attendees can be aware of the issue.
- This is a public event – please publicize freely.
When: Saturday, February 10th and Sunday February 11th from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm, rain or shine. Check our website in case of dangerous weather.
Where: Henrietta Dome
Meet: corners of East Henrietta Rd and Fair Avenue (starting at 11:00) or at the corners of Calkins Rd and Fair Ave (starting at 10:00).
EDIT: The Calkins entrance seems unused – We’ll be starting at 10 am at E. Henrietta Rd. entrance, though some may go over to Calkins later.
We will stay on the public sidewalks of Henrietta or Calkins. Fair Avenue is private.
Signs: We have signs, or you can bring one (please be sure the message is in alignment with ARRoc’s core values, and to be readable, you will want letters to be at least 4″ high and lettered darkly with marker or paint).
- Fun? Fair? Not for the animals
- Animals are not “rides”
- This is a ride (picture of mechanical ride). This is not (photo of camel).
- Traveling animals: it’s no vacation
- Sad, sad fair
- You can go home, but the animals can’t.
Thank you for advocating for animals. We hope to see you there!